12.17.2013

DIY Winter Lip Scrub

I have spent most of the last couple of days picking at my dry lips and heavily applying chap stick every 10 minutes. The winter weather is never kind to my skin and this year is no exception. Over the weekend I used some sugar lip scrub of my mom's but didn't have anything similar at my house, so I thought, why not make my own? I figured that between Pinterest, my many blog reads, and Google I could find a great recipe for a scrub to heal my desperate lips. 

Not only did I find a quick and easy recipe for lip scrub, but I also found a highly addictive website with recipes (drooling over this), DIYs, and articles on "16 New Ways to Leave Milk and Cookies for Santa". 


This recipe has six different variations using the same simple base of a 1:1 ratio of coconut oil and cane sugar. From there you can add different add-ons for the flavor and scent of your choice. I chose the Orange, Clove, and Honey option and loved it. Not only did it feel great, smell and taste great, but it left my lips feeling great- completely moisturized and smooth. I included the Orange, Clove, and Honey recipe below but check out all of them. Trust me, whoever you meet under the mistletoe this holiday season will thank you. 
Ingredients:
- white sugar
- extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed orange juice
-1 teaspoon honey
- a pinch of ground cloves
Instructions:
1.
 Choose your container, and measure your exfoliant so that the container is just about half full.
2. Measure the coconut oil—you want a 1:1 ratio of oil to sugar.
3. Transfer oil and sugar to a mixing bowl, then add the orange juice and honey, followed by the cloves. Add each of these “to taste.”
4.  Mix gently to combine—over-mixing will make the granules begin to dissolve.
To use: gently apply scrub onto lips and massage in a circular motion. Leave on for a few extra minutes and then gently remove with a washcloth and warm water.  
*Add scrub to an air-tight storage container and refrigerate for up to two weeks. Remove from fridge at least five minutes before use so that the mixture can soften.



Pucker up

1 comment:

  1. Could you give an example for the ratio of the sugar/oil mixture to the orange juice, honey and cloves? I know it can vary depending on how you like it, but where is a good place to start? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio