3.20.2014

Spicy Brussel Sprout Sweet Potato

Tuesday night will go down as the most productive night I have had in 2014. After taking a Barre3 class with my sister Annie, we went back to my apartment, made dinner, and then plopped down to watch T.V., and highlight Annie's hair. People always give us crazy looks when they find out that sometimes we forgo the professional salons and choose to freshen up our blonde locks ourselves with a $9 box kit from the drugstore. This is not a new trend for us, in fact, I remember watching my mom highlight my older sister's hair when I was still in elementary school. This was before the time that my mom thought it was appropriate to spend $100+ on coloring at a salon. When you have three daughters you have to make cuts somewhere and this is how we did it. The process is the same today as it was 15 years ago- a plastic cap covered in tiny holes in which you pull your hairs through and then coat with the lightening mixture. Just wait about 30 minutes, rinse, wash, and TA-DA you are a blonde beauty! This process is so easy that I have done it to myself numerous times. It's a great option for blondes between salon visits, but not always a great idea for brunettes. We tried it once on a friend and I am shocked that she still talks to us. #traumatic 

While Annie's color was "setting" I asked her to come to my closet to help me pack for our trip to Charleston. While standing in my closet, staring at my clothes, I got the overwhelming urge to "Spring Clean" my closet. Right then. At 8:30 p.m. on a Tuesday night. Before I knew it there was a pile 3-feet tall of sweaters, jeans, shoes, scarves, and purses on my floor and about 30 empty hangers amongst the reminder of the clothes hanging in my closet. Annie watched in amazement (shock?) as I parted with a good third of my closet and began to fold it all and place in bags. I followed the Everygirl's rules for cleaning out your closet and feel confident about the things I rid myself of. I am trying to simplify my life this spring and I think the four large bags of clothes now waiting to be sold/given away are a good start. 

After the closet purge, I cleaned up my room, started some laundry, and got in bed feeling accomplished and happy and slept better than I have in days. Not only had I done so much that day and night but had eaten a great dinner (I know you were all wondering how I was going to tie a recipe in to this story).

After Barre3 I quickly whipped this dinner up for Annie and I and we both loved it. Sweet potatoes are my favorite, easy, cheap dinner. I eat one at least twice a week and was excited to venture away from my typical grilled veggie filling for a new variation on my savory sweet potato.


For 1 serving
1 medium sweet potato
2 teaspoons EVOO
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 1/2 cups, loosely packed brussel sprout leaves 
Salt & pepper
A few dashes of your favorite hot sauce (Louisiana is the favorite brand of the Tucker's)

1. Rinse your sweet potato with warm water and then use a fork or knife to pierce the potato all over. Lightly dry the potato with a paper towel and then wrap the damp paper towel around the potato.
2. Place in microwave and cook on high for 5-6 minutes, then flip to other side and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
3. While your sweet potato is cooking, start to heat the EVOO over medium heat in a medium-sized sauce pan. When oil is hot, add the sesame seeds and cook until toasted, stirring often so not to burn them.
4. When there is 2-3 minutes left in microwave cook time, turn stove heat down to low and add brussel sprouts, salt and pepper, and a few dashes of hot sauce to sesame seeds and mix to cook.
5. When the sweet potato is finished cooking, remove from microwave, slice, and season with salt and pepper. Top with brussel sprout mixture, finishing it off with more hot sauce if you prefer. Annie and I both prefer more hot sauce, always.

Until next week's sweet potato. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jackie's Design Studio